Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Have a question on lubricants, wire drawing, quality, testing, ISO, environmental? Post your question here to get the answer!

Zinc Wire Drawing Lubricant (No Foam + No Residue)

• Mr Bhavani Prasad
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #2605 by Mr Bhavani Prasad
Zinc Wire Drawing Lubricant (No Foam + No Residue) was created by Mr Bhavani Prasad
Hi,

We manufacture Zinc wire used in Thermal Spray Metallizing.

I came across this forum recently.

What a find!

I did some reading and searching on here but still had a quick question...

What are the most common type of lubricants used in continuous drawing of Zinc wire in a multi die drawing machine? Lubricant is sprayed onto the wire and capstan cone.

After some experimentation we started using around 1% soap based lubricant (i.e. 1% soap, 99% water) but it is still too foamy and also leaving a slightly black residue on the wire surface. (plus fines are not washed away fully)

Does anyone have any specific suggestions and/or tips on a better lubricant? (Ideal requirements are no residue, no excessive foam and high lubricity for high speed drawing and extended die life)

I already contacted some manufacturers but none of them seem to have any specific for Zinc wire. What lubricant can I use?

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks!
Prasad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #2608 by Peter J Stewart-Hay
Replied by Peter J Stewart-Hay on topic Re: Zinc Wire Drawing Lubricant (No Foam + No Residue)
Hello,

It is encouraging that you are already using a soap/ water drawing solution but you are missing, emulsifiers, inhibitors, a biocide and anti-foaming chemicals plus of course soap based lubricants are really dirty in the drawing machine, tanks, pumps and piping. A water based synthetic or semi-synthetic may indeed be your best bet. I suggest you contact the Richards Apex company in Philadelphia, PA USA ( www.richardsapex.com ) and leave a clear message for their chemists www.richardsapex.com/contact/index.html Make sure you fill in the country information because Richards Apex is indeed worldwide.

Regards,
Peter J. Stewart-Hay Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Peter J Stewart-Hay.

• Mr Bhavani Prasad
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #2611 by Mr Bhavani Prasad
Replied by Mr Bhavani Prasad on topic Re: Zinc Wire Drawing Lubricant (No Foam + No Residue)
Hello again Mr. Stewart-Hay,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I will contact Richards Apex right away.

Since Zinc wire is a niche industry (say unlike big brothers Copper or Aluminium wire) I asked several lubricant suppliers what they supply for Copper or Aluminium wire manufacturers and a majority of them said soap based lubricants. So we have been using that ever since.

We just figured if its good enough for copper or aluminium wire manufacturers it is good enough for us! :-)

I do agree soap based lubricants are dirty but cheap. But now some of our customers want shiny silvery looking wire whereas the lubricant we are using adds some kind of soapy residue which is black to the touch and reduces the shine of the wire.

Do you know of anyone else like Richards Apex who might be able to help us?

Thanks again,
Prasad

More
10 years 8 months ago #2613 by Peter J Stewart-Hay
Replied by Peter J Stewart-Hay on topic Re: Zinc Wire Drawing Lubricant (No Foam + No Residue)
Hello again,

Please keep in mind that aluminum drawing uses an oil lubricant whereas copper drawing employs water based synthetic and semi-synthetic drawing solutions.

I think you should first use the contact form at the Richards Apex website so that they can refer you to their appropriate employee. If you indeed have problems let me know at the WAI Forums and I will phone them to determine an appropriate person for you to contact.

Regards,
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Mr Bhavani Prasad
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #2614 by Mr Bhavani Prasad
Replied by Mr Bhavani Prasad on topic Re: Zinc Wire Drawing Lubricant (No Foam + No Residue)
Hello again Mr. Stewart-Hay,

I filled in the contact form at Richards Apex with my specifications about 18 hours back. I also sent them an email (I found email address on their contact page) of the same. I mentioned I got their reference from you.

I will update once I hear back from them.

If I don't hear back in a few days I will then request your help in proceeding further.

Thanks again Mr. Stewart-Hay,
Prasad

PS: Just curious... Are there specific lubricants for each type of metal or metal alloy which is drawn into wires (or at least for the highest volume products) or do most manufacturers improvise and customize for their particular situation? I was thinking any lubricant suitable for a Zinc alloy wire might be suitable for us to manufacture pure zinc wire.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Peter J Stewart-Hay.

More
10 years 8 months ago #2617 by Peter J Stewart-Hay
With regard to pure zinc and alloy drawing, I suggest you talk this over with Richards Apex. Aluminum has a number of alloys and all are drawn on the same taper drafting machines but again, that employs an oil drawing lubricant.

Long long ago, we did some minor drawing of a cadmium copper alloy for trolley and pantograph wires (Spark erosion resistance.) but that was soon stopped because cadmium is so dangerous to both human health and the environment. In those days however we employed a soap-fat-hot water drawing solution. I am not familiar with the processes for drawing brass and bronze.

Again, this is really all I can do to assist you.
Cheers

Regards,
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777