Join WAI's wireNETworking!
- Join our wire & cable community
- View profiles and add new friends
- Share your photos and videos
- Create your own group or join others
- Oct023791 Clubhouse Drive Conover, NC 28613
- Oct20Sierra Lakes Golf Course, Fontana, California
- Peter J Stewart-Hay replied to the topic 'Conductor Screen - Triple extrution - Power cable' in the forum.The conductor screen is made from XLPE and is semi-conducting in nature by the addition of carbon.. The compound can be super-smooth by having the carbon produced by burning acetylene as this gives a very small sized particulate.
The conductor screen has two basic functions.
(1) ]To mechanically protect the insulation from the conductor.. This prevents stress concentrations at the conductor surface of the insulation.
(2) Because polyethylene has a larger thermal coefficient of expansion than the conductors, it will expand away from the conductor. Because the conductor screen is at the same potential as the conductor, there cannot be a flashover.
The conductor screen and the insulation screen are simultaneously extruded with the insulation.