Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Have a question on lubricants, wire drawing, quality, testing, ISO, environmental? Post your question here to get the answer!

Twisting Machines Questions, help needed

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Archived Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #2439 by Archived Forum Admin
Twisting Machines Questions, help needed was created by Archived Forum Admin
Hi All!

I own a small audio cable manufacturer and I am looking for a machine to twist solid core wire with Teflon dielectric. I would like it to be able to handle 10awg to 30awg but it needs to be able a least 16awg to 24awg. Also is there a machine made that when it does the twist it does not torsion the individual wires? I am doing 500 - 1000m at a time, speed is not as important as consistency of twist and twist length.

Thanks
Chris Kline

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #2440 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Twisting Machines Questions, help needed
Hi Chris,

I know exactly what you are looking for because 1n the early 1970s Maillefer (Swiss) made such a machine for pairs, triads and quads but unfortunately the machine was dropped from their product line in the 1980s. I think I can find a copy of the old Maillefer brochure so you will know exactly what I am talking about. Please E-mail me your E-mail address and I will see what I can find in our file system.

There is a small company in Germany that may be able to custom manufacture something similar for you but you will have to provide them with a detailed specification as far as wire sizes, dimensions over the dielectric. Maximum weight, gross and net, for the pay-off and the take up precision steel or precision steel/ plastic bobbins.

No doubt you are trying to balance the wire to wire capacitance and reduce crosstalk with other pairs in the same cable.

The German company is:

Spezialmaschinenbau Kurre GmbH
Industriestaße 5, 26683 Ramsloh, Germany
Tel +49 4498 9250 0
Fax +49 4498 9250 50

www.kurre.net/spezial_eng/index.htm

I was always quite impressed with their technical ability.

Regards
Peter J. Stewart-Hay
Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
Tel 519 641- 3212

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #2441 by Archived Forum Admin
Replied by Archived Forum Admin on topic Re: Twisting Machines Questions, help needed
Basically you need a small planetary cabler to handle the torsion problem. Only real question that needs answering is the maximum number of conductors that you are putting together. 10-30 awg is probably too big of a range, but 16-30 is definitely doable.

Erik Macs
VP North American Machinery Sales
Fine International Corporation
148 Oak Street
Natick, MA 01760 USA
508-315-8200 fax: 615-658-1988
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #2442 by Archived Forum Admin
Hi Chris,

You have actually a number of options regarding suitable machinery; however the final choice will depend on the no. of wires you wish to assemble, reel dimensions as well as overall product specifications.

As Eric already stated you can use a planetary strander which has a very low efficiency and will limit you both in product diameter and flexibility.

Another choice is a rotating take-up in conjunction with back-twist pay-off. This system is very flexible and will allow for short runs and quick change-overs.

A tubular strander or a bow cabler will also produce cables without introducing a twist in the individual conductor.

You can even utilize a double twist machine in conjunction with back twist pay-offs, very popular in the production of category cables, if your final product specification allows for some cold working of the individual conductor.

All of these systems will have to have very good tension control in order to produce high quality cables.

My gut feeling tells me that you will actually require a custom system tailored to your specific application.

In order to determine a suitable system for you let us know the number of wires to be cabled, reel dimensions, both for pay-off and take-up, and final product specifications you would like to obtain.

Feel free to contact us for more information.

Willy Hauer
www.HowarEquipment.com

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #2443 by Archived Forum Admin
Hi Willy,

Sent you a pm, let me know if you've gotten it.

Thanks
Chris

• Archived Forum Admin
  • Platnium Boarder
  • Platnium Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #2444 by Archived Forum Admin

ip:70.25.67.103 Hi Chris,

No, I did not get your PM. Send to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Best Regards,

Willy

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777