Wirenet Image Band
wirenet.org mobile image band
× Have a question on lubricants, wire drawing, quality, testing, ISO, environmental? Post your question here to get the answer!

Instrumnt for wire drawing lubricant concentration

• Mr Rodel Fernandez Lua
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #2781 by Mr Rodel Fernandez Lua
Instrumnt for wire drawing lubricant concentration was created by Mr Rodel Fernandez Lua
good day everyone :)

I want to know if what is the best instrument to use when measuring concentration on wire(copper) lubricants.

Thank you very much.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #2782 by Peter J Stewart-Hay
Replied by Peter J Stewart-Hay on topic Re: Instrumnt for wire drawing lubricant concentration
Hello Mr. Lua,

By far the easiest method to measure the percentage of fat concentration in copper drawing lubricant is to employ the refractive index method. One generally uses a hand held refractometer but laboratory bench mounted refractometers are also available.. Refractometers can range in price from about $100.00 to 10,000.00. so your query as to which is "best" is really whatever your criteria happens to be. Accuracy is usually in whole percentage numbers such (as say 6%). so high accuracy is not a necessity.

I have attached a URL to a Japanese web page that discusses control of wire drawing lubricant in more detail. www.lublight.co.jp/lublight%20manual.htm

As far as obtaining the right refractometer for you, we suggest that you discuss this with your drawing lubricant supplier and have them go back to the lubricant manufacturer to obtain a positive recommendation for your particular lubricant and perhaps a quotation for the supply of their recommended refractometer.

Regards,
Peter J. Stewart-Hay Principal
Stewart-Hay Associates
www.Stewart-Hay.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Peter J Stewart-Hay.

• Mr Rodel Fernandez Lua
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #2783 by Mr Rodel Fernandez Lua
Replied by Mr Rodel Fernandez Lua on topic Re: Instrumnt for wire drawing lubricant concentration
Good Day Sir!

Thank you very much. Currently I am using a manual refractometer but since I had doubts with the instrument, I posted the question. Because I learned that the refractometer was mostly used to measure sugar concentrations in food, it came to mind just how the refractometer related to wire lubricants since the instrument is used for food testing and that confused me. Now I understand. :)

Peter J Stewart-Hay wrote: Hello Mr. Lua,
By far the easiest method to measure the percentage of fat concentration in copper drawing lubricant is to employ the refractive index method. One generally uses a hand held refractometer but laboratory bench mounted refractometers are also available.. Refractometers can range in price from about $100.00 to 10,000.00. so your query as to which is "best" is really whatever your criteria happens to be. Accuracy is usually in whole percentage numbers such (as say 6%). so high accuracy is not a necessity.
I have attached a URL to a Japanese web page that discusses control of wire drawing lubricants in more detail. www.lublight.co.jp/lublight%20manual.htm

As far as obtaining the right refractometer for you, we suggest that you discuss this with your drawing lubricant supplier and have them go back to the lubricant manufacturer to obtain a positive recommendation for your particular lubricant and perhaps a quotation for the supply of their recommended refractometer.

Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Peter J Stewart-Hay.

• Thomas A Whitcombe
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #2784 by Thomas A Whitcombe
Replied by Thomas A Whitcombe on topic Instrumnt for wire drawing lubricant concentration
Beware! The refractometer will measure EVERYTHING except pure water. Once you have contaminants in the coolant they can contribute to the reading. Also, if the emulsion is unstable you can get a false reading as well. Your readings should be compared to an acid split test periodically.

More
8 years 10 months ago #2852 by Richard Burke
Replied by Richard Burke on topic Instrumnt for wire drawing lubricant concentration
Keep in mind that the important thing you are looking for is lubricity. While your supplier may suggest levels of concentration that should work for you, there are simple tests that can also tell you how good the solution lubricates. They have ben discussed at length earlier in posting.

Moderators: Erik A MacsPeter J Stewart-Hay
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Gallery

Contact us

The Wire Association Int.

71 Bradley Road, Suite 9

Madison, CT 06443-2662

P: (203) 453-2777